Soccer Ball Cake
1 (18.5 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (16 ounce) package white colored frosting
12 black licorice whips
cup white sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour
one 2 1/2 to 3 quart ovenproof bowl. Place sugar in a bowl and stir in black food color until desired color is achieved. Set
2. Pour prepared cake batter into the prepared bowl and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cake cool for
15 minutes in the bowl then invert and let cake cool completely.
3. Once cake is completely cool trim flat side
of cake and place on a cake board. Trim edges into a ball shape. Frost with the white frosting. Next using a toothpick draw
a pentagon in the center top of the cake. Surround the pentagon with five hexagons. Repeating to cover entire cake. Cover
lines with black licorice cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Fill the pentagon shapes with black colored white sugar.
1 (18.25-oz.) pkg. Devil's Food Cake Mix
1/4 teaspoon red food
4 drops yellow food color*
1 (16-oz.) can Milk Chocolate Frosting
1/4 cup Creamy Vanilla Frosting
(from 16-oz. can)
1. Heat oven to 350F. Generously spray one 8-inch round and
one 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Prepare cake mix as directed on package. Divide batter evenly into sprayed
2. Bake at 350F. for 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in
pans for 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; place on wire racks. Cool 30 minutes or until completely cooled.
Place round cake in center of serving tray or foil-covered cardboard. Cut square cake in half diagonally making 2 triangles.
Cut off rounded piece from each side of round cake (you will have a sort of rectangle with rounded ends), then fit cut edge
of triangles up against the cut edges of round cake to form football shape. ( It is a good idea to make a paper pattern by
drawing around the bottom of your round and square pans, then cut these paper pieces as directed above and fit together so
you can actually see how they fit.)
4. Add red and yellow food color to milk chocolate frosting; blend well. Frost
sides and top of cake. To create texture, lightly touch blade of serrated knife across top and sides of cake randomly.
5. Place vanilla frosting in quart-sized resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Cut small hole in bottom corner of bag. Make
white frosting laces on football.
Tip: * Orange gel food color can be substituted for the red
and yellow food color.